Friday, August 10, 2012

Offerings...

Inspired by a story related by another blogger, about Raccoon and King Sun, I started leaving a bucket of water in a special place. For the Sun King to drink and quench his thirst, then give us rain, for the benefit of all living things.

Each morning I would retrieve the bucket and empty whatever water was left on some thirsty plant (initially, the lily of the valley I had recently planted there), refill it and return it.

On just the second day of this, it rained. A small storm developed almost on top of us and dropped 0.62 of an inch -- more rain than the last two rain events combined. Then the highs began to settle into more reasonable levels, giving us all (plants, humans and what-have-you) relief.

The grass actually looks green today.

A bucket of water each day until the drought is broken...

And other offerings, just because.
I will pick no more elderberries, even though bushes are still loaded with black gems. I leave them for the birds. (They'd better not let them go to waste.)
I don't mind the rabbits and/or squirrels eating a few tomatoes -- just eat the whole thing, for crying out loud.
And other offerings, as they come to mind. Or happen. Just because...
I am grateful to have what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment